Art is Basic has moved!

Art is Basic has moved!
Visit my new blog location by clicking on the Art is Basic logo.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

1st Grade Complementary Color Collage



Here is an easy project for first graders to introduce complementary colors.  We started off by coloring a mini-color wheel (did not include the tertiary colors).  Then, we identified the complementary colors on the color wheel.  Next, the children were called up to pick out two sheets of paper that were complementary colors.  I monitored to make sure that these were indeed complementary colors.  Next, the children cut out different types of shapes from the papers and glued them to their paper.  The following class period, I had a little "kit" made up for each of them with things that had "their" colors.  I took a large ziploc bag and placed in the kit things such as colored cellophane, tape, stickers, pom pom balls, foam shapes, crepe paper streamers and so forth. 










2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great idea- I LOVE all the textures you had for them to use; beautiful way to re purpose stuff!
By the way, I used your idea of glue/oil pastel resist (at least I think it was your idea ;)) in my art class- I wanted to have a link to give you credit, but couldn't find your original posting! If you would be so kind as to send me a link, I'll stick it in there!
Have a great day, and hope to see you at PPF tomorrow!

Marcia Beckett said...

Thanks! It is fun. I have used the glue/oil pastel resist in my classes, but I couldn't find a post about it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails