Well.. I don't have any pictures to show you right now. We are finishing up a whole bunch of really cool projects... K- finished Rainbow Fish pictures 1- color mixing exercise 2- finished a Dr. Suess unit/color collage 3- finished monochromatic paintings 3/4- painted landscapes 4/5- finishing a mosaic/fresco unit 5/6- most are finishing up a knight sculpture and then working on a concrete poem, next week we are starting illuminated letters. I just have to take pictures of the ones that are finished now.
I've been also working really hard on my PDP. In Wisconsin, every 5 years to become recertified you need to make a professional development plan, outlining goals and your plans to meet those goals. When I was trying to write mine, I wanted to look up examples from other art teachers and I really couldn't find any sample plans that were specifically for art teachers. Maybe this will help someone else out when you are writing a professional growth plan. Here is a brief outline of my plan. I have left out some of the information that is extraneous. The whole thing is several pages long.
Description of Goal to be Addressed:
Rationale for Goal:
Plan to Meet Goal/Objectives
Objective 1: I will deepen my understanding of teaching strategies that build foundational art skills.
- Read articles about the stages of drawing and clay development.
- Research curriculum outlines from other schools.
- Observe other teachers in their classroom to gain insights on management, teaching strategies and assessment.
- Attend conference workshops focusing on the teaching of core art skills.
- Study brain-based educational research.
OBJECTIVE 2: I will develop a sequential K-6 art curriculum focusing on solid core skills as well as interdisciplinary connections.
- Review existing curriculum.
- Inventory, review and obtain materials for each grade level.
- Develop grade level goals and objectives.
- Finalize the curriculum review for K-6 art.
OBJECTIVE 3: I will implement and analyze the effectiveness of the sequential curriculum.
- Document teaching on a personal blog.
- Assess student progress through pre and post skills tests, rubrics and self-assessment.
- I will be observed and evaluated by a peer teacher or administrator to receive feedback.
OBJECTIVE 4: I will expand my personal skills and understanding of core art concepts, especially in drawing, watercolor and acrylic painting.
- Read art skills books about drawing and watercolor
- Keep a visual journal of art concepts and exercises.
- Attend hands-on workshops to enhance my knowledge of drawing and painting.
- Participate in online art workshops to improve skills.
- Present a workshop at the Wisconsin Art Education Association Conference sharing my lesson plans.
There is more on this plan, including timetables, and extra info, but this is the general gist. We have 5 years now to complete our plans and work on all these objectives. If you would like to see the entire plan, I can send you a pdf of my plan in progress. As I complete the activities, I will make notes about the activity and the date completed. I need to gather "artifacts" about the activities to submit at the end.
Also, this is my rough draft and I am planning on having a friend read through it to check grammar and content.