Art is Basic has moved!

Art is Basic has moved!
Visit my new blog location by clicking on the Art is Basic logo.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Making a fabric cone doll

I was playing around with how to make a fun art doll for 1st grade.  You will need to get either parent volunteers or older helpers to hot glue.  I am lucky to have a K-8 school where there is often study halls in which I can borrow older kids for help.

Here is what I came up with.
1.  Cut a piece of muslin fabric into a square.  Place it in the palm of your hand.  Put a ball of stuffing in the middle and wrap it with a rubberband.

2.  Take a cone shaped cardboard (a yarn cone) and cut to size.  Stuff the ghost figure into the cone.

Here is what it should look like after it is stuffed in the cone.
 3.  Next, wrap a rectangular piece of fabric around the cone.  Hot glue in place.  Cut arms from thick twine or raffia type material.  Hot glue to the sides of the cone.  Wrap more fabric and yarn around for scarves or belts.  Hot glue on eyes, nose, mouth if desired.  For hair, I had some "doll hair" (which can be bought at a craft store in the doll building section) lying around in the closet that I used. 
 Maybe when I do this with kids I will get different color of muslin for the base fabric of the head.
Any other suggestions or ideas for easy doll projects with young kids?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Inspiring article! Very cool and easy to learn making cone doll. Such as exciting.......


Job Description

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails