Art is Basic has moved!

Art is Basic has moved!
Visit my new blog location by clicking on the Art is Basic logo.

Monday, January 3, 2011

Islamic Tile Design

Islamic Art
In this project the 5/6s are tying together Social Studies, Math and Art! They are making a geometric tile design (based on their name) using repeating shapes and patterns. They viewed a slide show about characteristics of Islamic art and the variety of types of Islamic art.






Step 1:  Cut 12 x 12" piece of paper.  Fold in half then in half again.

Step 2:  Open and fold one more time, diagonally.

Step Three:  Write your name on one triangle from top to bottom of the triangle.  Use block or bubble letters.

Step Four:  Use carbon paper to flip and flop and trace the name on to each of the triangles.  The name will be a radial design all around.  This is the trickiest part for the kids.

Finally, use markers to draw patterns on the shapes. Use the same colors/patterns on the same letters all the way around.  We used regular markers and also Crayola Color Switcher markers for added pizazz. 

Work in progress by 6th grader

9 comments:

Phyl said...

These are beautiful. I used to do something like this, but haven't for a while - and this has inspired me!

Diane said...

Love this!!

Miss said...

These are beautiful- this project will be an excellent addition to my mosque architecture lesson- thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I don't understand how you use the carbon paper. I'm doing an example now so I will know how to explain to the 6th graders, but I'm at a loss. Love the project though.

Home Synchronize said...

Good Job! These Islamic tile designs will be used as decorative elements for Islamic Interior. These elements produce uniqueness and authenticity while integrated with modern design elements.

Hill said...

What an awesome and very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I’ve really enjoyed browsing your blog posts.

In any case I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again very soon!


site

Unknown said...

I’m impressed, I must say. Actually hardly ever do I encounter a blog that’s each educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have got hit the nail on the head. Your concept is outstanding; the issue is one thing that not sufficient individuals are talking intelligently about. I am very pleased that I stumbled across this in my seek for one thing regarding this. online gambling

Unknown said...

all I have to say is wow

Alice said...

I found this blog very motivating and facts full to read and get. Thanks for sharing perfect information with us. Exotic Interior Studio

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails