Art is Basic has moved!

Art is Basic has moved!
Visit my new blog location by clicking on the Art is Basic logo.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Grid Design for Sketchbook Cover


The 3rd/4th grade class used a grid format to design their sketchbook cover.  I am loving using grids in my personal artwork.  I am doing a series of grid mixed media paintings which you can see here, here and here, and oh yeah here too.  

To prepare for this lesson, I drew a 1 inch square grid on a piece of 8.5" x 11" piece of paper.  Then, I photocopied it for the class.  Here's a trick.. if you cut down construction paper to an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper, it can go in the bypass tray of a copy machine.  It took me several years of teaching to figure that out!  

Then, the students found the letters of their name in magazines and put them on the grid.  Then, they added designs and other magazine clippings to the rest of the grid.  There were a few kids who were resistant to the magazine letter thing, so I let them draw their name with markers.  I think it's important to let the kids branch off if they have a strong desire and vision to do something else. 

I find it easier to be creative when there is a set structure already in place.  That's probably why I'm drawn to the grid format.


Isn't this the cutest koala EVER!?


8 comments:

web design Bangalore said...

internet marketing company bangalore

Assignment Help said...

coordination with the assignments with academic structure for the assignment help firm Assignment Help

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this. For best and cheap manual Seo services, Web designings. Must check Web Design Bangalore

Assignment Help said...

Very Informative post with image you gave to us, really helpful I would like to share something really helpful for education.
Assignment Help Melbourne

Unknown said...

Hi,

Thanks for sharing a very interesting article about Grid Design for Sketchbook Cover. This is very useful information for online blog review readers. Keep it up such a nice posting like this.

Regards,
WondersMind,
Web Design Company Bangalore

OGEN Infosystem (P) Limited said...

I like this blog so much, thanks for sharing with us this valuable blog. Visit
Web Designing Company in Delhi

Arun Kumar said...

Hey Nice Blog!! Thanks For Sharing!!!Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, waiting for a more new post. Keep Blogging!
SEO company in coimbatore
Digital Marketing Company in Coimbatore
web design in coimbatore

bestieltscoachingindwarka said...

I feel happy about and learning more about this topic. keep sharing your information regularly for my future reference. This content creates new hope and inspiration within me. Thanks for sharing an article like this. the information which you have provided is better than another blog.
IELTS institute in Delhi
IELTS Coaching in Delhi
best IELTS Coaching in Delhi

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails